*Total correct as of 08/02/24
February 2024 Update
We are absolutely thrilled to let you know that we have reached our £100,000 target for our Power Up! Appeal!
We launched the Power Up! Appeal in July and hoped to raise funds to help us to weather the storms of winter to contribute towards our increased running costs, due to the rise in energy prices.
Hitting the £100,000 total is an absolutely incredible feat and all thanks to you, our community of Hospice supporters, both local and further afield!
This total is testament to the love and support which you, our community, show us, time and time again.
A message from St Cuthbert’s Hospice Chief Executive, Paul Marriott:
“St Cuthbert’s Hospice is proud to have exceeded our goal of £100,000 thanks to the Power Up! Appeal, which is a testament to the care, support, and dedication of our local community. As a Hospice, we strive to deliver the best possible care to everyone in County Durham and the heartwarming stories featured throughout the Appeal demonstrate just that. The success of this campaign was only possible due to the collective effort of our various supporters including communities, giving organisations, corporates, staff, volunteers, and beyond. Not only will the funds raised help to cover the deficit we face due to the rise in energy costs but will help us to continue to go above and beyond. We wholeheartedly thank everyone who contributed to this cause.”
Read more about our Power Up! Appeal here:
About the Power Up! Appeal
Power Up! Appeal
Little luxuries that we take for granted every day, like popping the kettle on for a cuppa, or enjoying a warm bath, really make a difference to those in our care. We are fortunate enough to be able to provide this level of care and we hope to be able to continue to do so for the future.
Here at St Cuthbert’s Hospice, our energy bills continue to rise and we know this is a concern we all share.
We need to raise £100,000 this year to help us cover our running costs due to the increased cost of energy.
St Cuthbert’s Hospice prides itself on being a centre of excellence within our community, providing all-embracing and individualised care to all those affected by life-limiting illnesses, at a time and a place that is right for them.
To be able to continue providing our compassionate care, we must raise the funds needed to weather the storm that will inevitably reach us this winter.
We know how powerful and passionate our local community are.
With your help, we know we can reach £100,000.
Anything you could do to help us, be it making a donation or sharing our campaign with your friends, family or local politicians to help spread awareness would be greatly appreciated.
It’ll mean we won’t have to think twice about popping the kettle on when someone needs a cuppa.
Our Power Up! Appeal Timeline
- We launch our Power Up! Appeal on the online giving platform Charity Extra. During July, any donations made by the public are ‘doubled’ by our generous Power Pledgers.
- During July, our Appeal also garnered support from the local Press, Durham MP Mary Kelly Foy, leader of Durham Council Amanda Hopgood, Mayor of Durham Lesley Mavin and Hospice UK.
- Our retail shops get involved, decorating their windows to raise awareness of the Power Up! Appeal.
- We share Norma and Fay’s Story.
- We share Maureen’s Story.
- Staff and Volunteers from the Hospice take part in a 12-hour static cycle ride which we called our Power Pedal to raise funds, kindly supported by PureGym Arnison Centre who let us loan their static bike.
- Channel 5 News visit the Hospice to talk to us about how the Energy Crisis is affecting us and meet our Chief Executive and Living Well Centre Guests.
- “The very first time I came here it was wonderful, I was totally relaxed and it’s been like that ever since. It’s nice meeting people and getting out of the house for a couple of hours. It’s a real eye opener because they do everything. Without the Hospice it would be a massive miss, it would leave a lot of people unattended or not knowing which avenue to take. Everyone is lovely here, if you have a query someone will be able to speak with you about it and get it sorted out.” – Dorothy, Living Well Centre Guest.
- Fundraising continues and our Power Up! Appeal is featured in our bi-annual magazine Insight which is sent to over 16,000 supporters. We share Dorothy & Edna’s stories in Insight.
October / November 2023
- Support continues from our community following our Insight magazine feature.
- We share what Powering a St Cuthbert’s Christmas means to the staff here at the Hospice sharing stories from our In-Patient Unit, Guest Services and Living Well Centre Teams.
- We share Colleen’s Story.
- We share Zohreh’s Story.
- We share Dorothy’s Story.
- We feature on BBC Politics North.
- We feature on ITV Tyne Tees.
Thank You! From The Team At St Cuthbert's Hospice
Why our care is so important
We have some lovely guest stories to share with you, showing just how special and unique the care is here at St Cuthbert’s Hospice.
And many more to be confirmed!
We’ve been overwhelmed by the power of our corporate supporters and fantastic Trust and Grant organisations!
We would like to thank: